Friday, January 2, 2009

MORE SNOW PEOPLE!

I confess! I can't stop making snow people. I stayed home on New Year's Day and worked on three new ones most of the day. I had already given a few as Christmas gifts, but now I really think I'm getting a system for making them. There are 4 more undecorated ones curing on my counter at home. I think I love them so because I can dig through my stash and use up all kinds of little incidental items I've collected. They are kind of like a 3-D collage because I don't realize the reason for the embellishments I give them until after I am finished with them. After I finished making this one:


And had already added the little rhinestone 4 on the key she was carrying, I realized, duh, she was the 4 of wands from the Tarot deck. (!) Traditionally, if I remember correctly, that card has a celebration going on (a wedding or other celebration of some sort) and the people on the card are often depicted with wreaths on their heads. The key is clearly her wand and the 4 (well, I added that one last) just looked right to me.


I think this snow angel is my personal favorite:



She is made from an old Log Cabin Syrup bottle I bought for $1.50 at a local antique store. She was marked $3.00, but when I told the clerk what I was going to do with her she generously slashed the price in half. I love how the little handles near the top of her bottle make her look like she is wearing a long full skirt and is standing with her hands behind her back. I used silver ground glass glitter on the letter J-O-Y so they will oxide over time and become almost black as they age. I used a bit of gold bouillon for her crown. I bought a couple stems of this stuff at the rubber stamp convention I attended last year and if anyone knows where I can buy some more, please leave me a post. I'm sorry for the glare, she is hard to get a pic of because of all the glitter, but I thought she still might give some of you an idea or two.

Here's the remaining snow girl in yesterday's trio. She was made from an old pink tinted pearl tree rope and a glass ketchup bottle which I also bought at a flea market for $1. I wasn't sure that I would like this shape, but once I had started constructing my little village, it was nice to have bottles in different shapes.


It is just as well that I am almost out of bottles because I need to get busy with my plans for the Romancing the Charm swap. I have a few little surprises in store for my players if I can just get them to come out right! Happy New Year and Happy arting, everyone. I hope you have all made new art resolutions for the coming year.

Please leave me a comment. I love hearing from all of you.

Cheers, Trish G.

1 comment:

My Vintage Studio said...

Happy New Year Trish!
Love your snow bottles!
Wishing you all the best for 2009.
Hugs, Sharon